Education in Canada

In Canada, the provinces and territories are responsible for elementary, secondary and post-secondary education. Consequently, Canada does not have a national or federal department of education. Kindergarten to Grade 12 education is publicly funded, compulsory for all students and free to all Canadian citizens and permanent residents. Mandatory school age varies across Canada but is generally between ages 5-7 and 16-18. The school year is normally September to June. Most children in Canada attend public schools.

The Canadian educational system is divided broadly into five areas:

  • Preschool
  • Primary School
  • Secondary / High School
  • Career and Vocational Training
  • University or other institutions

The Government of Canada, in cooperation with provincial governments, and various other institutions offers free language training across the country for recently arrived, adult permanent residents. In most provinces, the name of the program is LINC, which stands for Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada. Most universities and community colleges also offer language classes, as do some private language schools and community organizations, but most of these will charge a tuition fee for enrolment. Foreign students may come to Canada and study French or English for up to 6 months without the need to apply for a study permit (You may be required to apply for a temporary resident permit).

For children, there are a number of programs within the school system. The LINC and other programs assist primary and secondary school students who require intensive language training within the public school curriculums and have special programs designed to assist newcomers. Additional information would be provided upon purchasing one of our Canadian Migration Services.

Consultant Identification: R410927

Often people will not be able to find the information they are looking for, or may also need the opinion of a professional in the field.  People may not need to retain the full services provided but just need a specific question answered about a problem they may have; a visa application to Canada or the process in general.  They may require interview tips or may have questions about a Temporary Resident Visa such us the Student visa, Work permit or Tourist visa.